a little about this blog...

I've found myself in the place of having kids just a few years older than some of my friends and seem to get phone calls and emails asking questions about various parenting topics. Not that I am wiser than anyone else on this parenting journey - the funny stories of disastrous results and embarrassing moments are usually the ones that result in the most learning. I love to learn about how all kids think, wonder at how they are created, and am passionate about seeing them develop into their full potential - creatively, emotionally, and spiritually.

This blog contains thoughts about the parenting journey from my own experiences or about things I've learned from those around me. Thanks to my friend Alli for getting me started and to Susan, Nicole, Teresa, Kristi, Beth, and Victoria for being on the journey with me...


Monday, April 19, 2010

Destination Imagination


As a long time supporter of Destination Imagination and a former teacher, I am passionate about this program that includes, but goes beyond, the academic standards to train future leaders in such areas as teamwork, problem solving, and creative thinking. I fully support our schools working to improve test scores and raising curriculum standards, but years from now when our kids are making a difference in the world, these creative problem solving abilities and decision making experiences will matter just as much, if not more than, their SAT scores. I believe that whatever the field, most of us find ourselves working on a team that has an objective, a deadline, a budget, and a direction, and the job is to work together to solve the presented problem. That’s what these kids are learning...



and experiencing at a young age. There are 3 main components to the DI program.
Teamwork: Teams are made up of no more than seven kids. All decisions are made by the kids (the adult team manager facilitates, not directs) and they are forced to figure out how to work together with 7 different personalities, thought processes, and ideas.
Problem Solving: There are many facets of D.I. challenges from engineering to architecture to performing arts. Teams choose a challenge to solve, then meet regularly for a pre-determined time and work to solve their challenge. Budgets are set, materials are chosen, timelines are created, and roles are decided. ALL by the kids.
Creativity: This program breathes “thinking outside the box”. From brainstorming to execution, children are encouraged to dream and inspire each other to take their ideas beyond what you might see in a classroom.
Tournaments are held for regions, then teams advance to the state level. The first and second place teams at the state tournament advance to the Global International Tournament held in at the University of Tennessee for a week long whirlwind experience of creativity. Spending four days in a dorm on campus at UT with my team of seven fourth graders and watching them participate in various challenges and meet kids from all over the world was an experience beyond words.
It's a very accessible and simple start up process. We started one year with a team of 5 kids and have grown it at our elementary school to 10 different teams of over 60 kids just a few years later. We also plan on taking it to our middle school next year to continue growing the program in our district.
Every year I begin meeting with my team, I am full of plans to teach them and provide experiences for them to grow. And every year, I am reminded that this is not a typical teacher/student relationship kind of program. I am continually the one being inspired by these young, energetic, creative future leaders.
They continue to teach me every day. In the past few years, I’ve learned from Hailey that sometimes just a smile and a word of encouragement to someone can make all the difference. I’ve learned from Connor that sometimes being a great team player is just as important if not more important than being the leader. I’ve learned from Skye that the quiet voice of reason is always heard, no matter how loud the other voices are. I’ve learned from Hunter that consistently working hard at something always produces results. I’ve learned from McKenna that allowing yourself to think and act in the moment isn’t always safe, but will always stretch you to new limits. I’ve learned from Meghan that sometimes you have to push yourself outside of your comfort zone to really allow yourself to grow. And I’ve learned from Caroline, my daughter, that true creativity comes from the heart.
Challenged by their inquisitive minds and their unquenchable thirst for new ideas and knowledge, I am fascinated by their limitless possibilities for solutions to every kind of challenge they face. I am moved by their compassion for each other and their ability to see from others’ point of view. I am touched by their positive attitudes, genuine concern for the world around them, and the way they find a way to work together in every way, in every challenge. I know without a doubt that these kids are on their way to becoming incredible adults who will continue to make an impact on this world. Thanks in part to an extraordinary after school program called Destination Imagination. Check it out: http://www.idodi.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment